Wednesday, May 25, 2011

WHAT I LEARNT WHEN FACEBOOK DITCHED ME!

Don’t worry, not a philosophical post on why you should be unplugging – will do that later.


Recently, something went wrong with my laptop and nothing helped - kicking it, banging my fists on the keyboard, restarting a million times, cursing it, cursing myself on not being more technologically savvy, snapping at my mom, tapping fingers real hard and banging the lid shut – trust me, nothing worked.

I had to do everything on my mobile, no matter how huge they make the screens, the buttons are real small and it gets real tough to navigate. They should really think about attaching a life size keyboard to mobiles.

Ok, coming back, how was I to keep up with Facebook… that was the true question. That is where my 500 friends live! How do I know every single detail about where they are, what they are doing, how do I “like” everything they do, “comment” on everything they say and what if they need me. I mean like really need me, ya okay, my mobile is there, but what if there is a network problem and they can’t reach me; they might just probably update “Kidnapped…help me!” Then what… Panic, panic, panic!

So it took me fifteen days to get back to Facebook, yes, they are planning to feature me on some show talk show to inspire people. 

Logging in after 15 days, sighing with relief and all excited about sneaking into my friends’ wall I learnt some things:

1.       My friends were doing fine without me on Facebook. Apparently, everyone’s too busy with life goals to notice a person is missing.

2.       If someone does notice you “missing” they will call up to say this “You okay, haven’t seen you active on FB for the past 5 hours… seriously, everything okay your end?”

3.       If they are getting kidnapped, they are considering Police before Facebook. Apparently, the police are quicker is responding than the Facebook buddies.

4.       If they are getting married / engaged then they prefer to give you a call before creating the event and changing their relationship status. If they aren’t calling you up and have created the event, simple, they don’t want you there.

Hmmm… wasn’t such a big deal after all. But I am just as addicted to Facebook and will just panic the next time my laptop plans to take a break!

So over to you. Addicted to Facebook? Check your mail every 15 minutes? Did you panic when your laptop “broke”? Are your friends doing fine without you?  Or just about anything, any friend’s wedding you not invited to?

P.S. In no way am I criticizing Facebook, I can still be found there every 15 minutes. 

No comments: